HSD Versions Cleaner - An Overview
What you can do with it and what it can do for you
The HSD Versions Cleaner is a software tool for the Mac which allows you to observe and delete old file versions. Old file versions are previous versions of certain documents. For instance, every time changes made to a document are saved by the system's Auto Save feature, a snapshot of the previous document's data is taken and saved somewhere else on disk. With Versions - another macOS feature - it is then possible to replace the current version of a certain document by any previous version that is saved for that document.
Fortunately, the system doesn't keep old file versions forever. However, depending on how often changes made to a document are saved and how many data a document contains (think of documents containing images or large spreadsheet documents, for example) the total count of old file versions may occupy a significant amount of disc space nevertheless.
The HSD Versions Cleaner gives you control over how many old file versions shall be kept for selected documents. You can delete a selection of old file versions manually or even define criteria when certain old file versions shall be deleted automatically.
Both observing and deleting old file versions is done within a single application window:
Key Features at a Glance
- Observe previous file versions saved by document based apps for current file versions. You can also open old file versions directly from inside the app.
- Delete selected or even all old file versions manually.
- Let the app delete certain old file versions automatically in the background by defining some criteria, like ...
- Only keep the newest 300 old file versions saved for a current file version.
- Delete all old file versions that are older than a month.
- Revert a current file version to an arbitrary previous version of that file.
- And last not least: The HSD Versions Cleaner copes very well and smoothly with situations where a huge amount of old file versions is stored for a certain current file version.
If you want to learn more about the HSD Versions Cleaner, please consult the online documentation.
HSD Versions Cleaner V 2.0 requires macOS 10.13 or later.
If you ...
- have any open question regarding the HSD Versions Cleaner for which you couldn't find an answer within its documentation
- want to make a suggestion for what should absolutely be improved in a future version of this app
- found a bug (hopefully not)
Can it happen that all previous file versions disappear? - Yes, but this has nothing to do with the HSD Versions Cleaner. For instance, if you start your Mac from different start volumes from time to time, all previous file versions saved on other visible volumes disappear for whatever reason.
Public change log
- Current and previous file versions can now be opened directly from inside the app.
- Current file versions can now be reverted to a previous version directly from inside the app.
- And a lot of minor refinements and extensions.
- Some technical adaptations for macOS 10.15 Catalina.
- Refined user interface.
- Fixed a bug which could lead to a crash of the app.
- Fixed a problem with sorting the navigator view's content.
- Support of new great features introduced with macOS 10.14 Mojave, like global dark and light modes and tint colors.
- Some further user interface refinements.
- Integrated offline documentation improved (better screenshots and some text corrections).
- Minor UI improvements when using a run-of-the-mill mouse (instead of an Apple mouse).
- Fix: 'jumping selection' within the Navigator View limited to distinct situations.
- Some performance improvements.
- Some minor corrections and clarifications within the offline documentation.
- Different solution for showing the HSD Versions Cleaner's offline documentation.
- Moving files from one imported (sub)directory to another one could result into duplicates within the Navigator View; this is fixed now.
- Minor internal user interface fixes.
- Minor improvements of the user interface design.
Mac and macOS are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.